Remove ads from site

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
11 November 2022 18:11:17

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63590080

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-63585912 

After a very mild night across the UK, we [MetO] have recorded provisional new highest minimum temperature records for November in both Northern Ireland and Scotland (two places), on the night of 10/11th Nov

14.5C Magilligan, Co Londonderry

14.6 Prestwick, Ayrshire and Kinloss, Moray

England and Wales both half a degree below the records.

Note - these are month records, not just date, and may not last for more than the next 24 hours

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
johncs2016
11 November 2022 19:45:04

In today's CC thread, I reported that last night's overnight minimum temperature here in Edinburgh was 15.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 15.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. On that same same thread, Jerry who used to live here in Edinburgh not all that long ago then backed me up with that one by saying that Edinburgh had taken the November prize for Scotland, although it was the figure of 15.1°C which he quoted for that, rather than the figure of 15.3°C for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which I had believed to have got that record.

Not long afterwards, even the legendary Sean Batty from STV then more or less supported me by confirming on Twitter that the temperature here in Edinburgh, Leuchars and another location in the Moray Firth region had indeed, stayed above 15°C all night as well. He didn't give any indications of any records on that tweet, but he did say that the vast majority of stations had beaten that previous record from 2007 which had been set at Dyce.

It was not long after that though, that the Met Office then posted on Twitter that the provisional record was only 14.6°C as set at Prestwick and Kinloss, rather than any of those figures which I had quoted for here in Edinburgh which on both occasions, I had even produced from the actual raw SYNOP/BUFR data in order to be as accurate about that as possible.

In the case of Edinburgh Gogarbank, the raw SYNOP/BUFR data for 6am this morning confirmed the overnight minimum temperature to be 15.1°C, and this was even backed up by the raw SYNOP data for 9am this morning.

Now, I could have started a new thread here in order raise the question of why Edinburgh wasn't getting that record despite the fact that we had recorded those figures which I had reported but instead of that, I decided to pose that question to the actual experts themselves, so I then replied to that Met Office tweet and raised my question there as to why this was the case.

I can now say that I have now had a very nice response to that which confirms that I am right to a certain extent because the raw SYNOP/BUFR data does give the exact figure for the minimum temperature, but he then went to say that these figures only actually cover the preceding 12 hour period which in this case was 9pm on the previous evening up until 9am this morning.

However, the reply went on to say that when the Met Office are evaluating any temperature records, they go by the full preceding 24 hour period, rather then the 12 hour period which the raw SYNOP/BUFR data covers and it turns out that this information is also quoted on the Met Office website (you can get to that page by doing a Google search for Met Office Extremes). This means that the actual period which is covered by that actual record runs from 9am on the previous morning, rather than from 9pm on the previous night.

Looking at my own data, I noticed that the temperature at 9am yesterday morning was only 14.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 14.1°C at the botanic gardens and it turns out that these temperatures alone, were enough to scupper Edinburgh's chances of getting that record as our actual minimum temperature would therefore have been either at or below those values.

To me, it seems strange that a temperature reading from any given morning can have that effect on any chances of a record being set on the following night and even the guy who replied to my tweet had admitted that to be the case, although he did go on to say that this has actually been the tradition for more than a century. However, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Essan
11 November 2022 19:49:42

Also a date maximum record today with 19.5c* at Myerscough, Lancs

* per Torro - highest I saw was 19.23c, but still date record

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Jiries
11 November 2022 19:59:34

Also a date maximum record today with 19.5c* at Myerscough, Lancs

* per Torro - highest I saw was 19.23c, but still date record

Originally Posted by: Essan 

Was three any sun to give those temps?

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
11 November 2022 20:20:21

In today's CC thread, I reported that last night's overnight minimum temperature here in Edinburgh was 15.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 15.3°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. On that same same thread, Jerry who used to live here in Edinburgh not all that long ago then backed me up with that one by saying that Edinburgh had taken the November prize for Scotland, although it was the figure of 15.1°C which he quoted for that, rather than the figure of 15.3°C for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which I had believed to have got that record.

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Thanks for your detailed investigation. It sounds as if the MetO have managed to tie themselves in knots!

Presumably and unfortunately the figure that will go into the record books is the one which the MetO claim consistency for, rather than a well-founded measurement based on a commmonsense interpretation of 'overnight'.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
johncs2016
11 November 2022 20:21:17

Thanks for your detailed investigation. It sounds as if the MetO have managed to tie themselves in knots!

Presumably and unfortunately the figure that will go into the record books is the one which the MetO claim consistency for, rather than a well-founded measurement based on a commmonsense interpretation of 'overnight'.

Originally Posted by: DEW 

I did often wonder why raw SYNOP/BUFR reports always showed minimum temperatures at 18z and 21z in as well as maximum temperatures at 06z and 09z but I have now just fully learned why this is the case, now that I know that these figures within the raw data only cover a 12 hour period whereas the Met Office go by a full 24 hour period when evaluating any minimum or maximum temperature records.

This means that in order to get the actual minimum temperature in terms of the Met Office would be likely to report that, I need to be taking the minimum values of those values which are provided by the 09z and previous 21z SYNOP data, rather than just going by what looks like the most obvious figure for that. When I do that for here in Edinburgh, it turns out that yesterday's official minimum was actually 14.4°C (as given by the previous 21z evening's SYNOP data) at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 14.1°C at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Nevertheless, that probably still makes last night Edinburgh' warmest November night on record anyway, even if that one figure from the previous morning has ended up scuppering our chances of getting that Scottish record.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bertwhistle
11 November 2022 20:56:40

As far as I am aware, all the modern max and min data relates to a 24 hour period.

I have seen data from the 1800s in Southampton where a 12 hour max and min were reported. 

I understand the sense in John's point.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Retire while you can still press the 'retire now' button.
Crepuscular Ray
12 November 2022 15:42:40

Not long afterwards, even the legendary Sean Batty from STV then more or less supported me by confirming on Twitter that the temperature here in Edinburgh, Leuchars and another location in the Moray Firth region had indeed, stayed above 15°C all night as well. He didn't give any indications of any records on that tweet, but he did say that the vast majority of stations had beaten that previous record from 2007 which had been set at Dyce.

It was not long after that though, that the Met Office then posted on Twitter that the provisional record was only 14.6°C as set at Prestwick and Kinloss, rather than any of those figures which I had quoted for here in Edinburgh which on both occasions, I had even produced from the actual raw SYNOP/BUFR data in order to be as accurate about that as possible.

In the case of Edinburgh Gogarbank, the raw SYNOP/BUFR data for 6am this morning confirmed the overnight minimum temperature to be 15.1°C, and this was even backed up by the raw SYNOP data for 9am this morning.

Now, I could have started a new thread here in order raise the question of why Edinburgh wasn't getting that record despite the fact that we had recorded those figures which I had reported but instead of that, I decided to pose that question to the actual experts themselves, so I then replied to that Met Office tweet and raised my question there as to why this was the case.

I can now say that I have now had a very nice response to that which confirms that I am right to a certain extent because the raw SYNOP/BUFR data does give the exact figure for the minimum temperature, but he then went to say that these figures only actually cover the preceding 12 hour period which in this case was 9pm on the previous evening up until 9am this morning.

However, the reply went on to say that when the Met Office are evaluating any temperature records, they go by the full preceding 24 hour period, rather then the 12 hour period which the raw SYNOP/BUFR data covers and it turns out that this information is also quoted on the Met Office website (you can get to that page by doing a Google search for Met Office Extremes). This means that the actual period which is covered by that actual record runs from 9am on the previous morning, rather than from 9pm on the previous night.

Looking at my own data, I noticed that the temperature at 9am yesterday morning was only 14.4°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 14.1°C at the botanic gardens and it turns out that these temperatures alone, were enough to scupper Edinburgh's chances of getting that record as our actual minimum temperature would therefore have been either at or below those values.

To me, it seems strange that a temperature reading from any given morning can have that effect on any chances of a record being set on the following night and even the guy who replied to my tweet had admitted that to be the case, although he did go on to say that this has actually been the tradition for more than a century. However, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that.

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

A good explanation John! That 0900-0900 period used by the Met Office often catches us out!

By the way, I'm back in Edinburgh (Blackford) to live from 21 November after my summer adventure working in the Lakes

Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
noodle doodle
12 November 2022 17:05:32

There was an occasion in the 2010 December freeze where somewhere supposedly set a date minimum at around 10am, but "the rules" said it would actually be counted for the following night(day?), for which it wasn't a record.

https://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/49994-record-maxima-and-minima-for-each-date-in-december/page/2/ 

ooh, it's another weather site, is that me barred?

Rob K
12 November 2022 17:22:45

Originally Posted by: DEW 

I think it’s always been the case that it’s the 9am-9am minimum that counts for these records. Which as others have pointed out, seems illogical, as you effectively need two very mild nights in a row in order to get a high minimum record. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
johncs2016
12 November 2022 17:54:37

A good explanation John! That 0900-0900 period used by the Met Office often catches us out!

By the way, I'm back in Edinburgh (Blackford) to live from 21 November after my summer adventure working in the Lakes

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I shall look forward to your return to Edinburgh and to you getting back to letting us know when it is snowing in the south of Edinburgh during the coming winter (that is, if we ever actually get any snow there during this winter going by how recent winters have been going).

I'm not sure whether or not you have looked at the Swanston weather station's website recently but in their monthly data pages, those 09:00 UTC to 09:00 UTC time ranges are explained very well at the bottom of the minimum and maximum temperature columns, so I am assuming that they have taken that from the Met Office's own explanation of that as well.

This is shown on the footnotes on each such page on the Swanston site which says that minimum temperatures are taken from 09:00 UTC to 09:00 UTC on the day itself with maximum temperatures covering the same time period, but for the following day.

This means that although I always report maximum temperatures on this forum after the 21z SYNOP data comes through, I now know that official maximum temperatures are never actually confirmed by that data because that is something which never happens until 09:00 UTC on the following morning so if the figure for the maximum temperature which comes through with that data on the following morning is higher than what I have just got from the 21z data, that higher figure will then be regarded as the actual maximum temperature (as far as I can tell, unless someone confirms otherwise) rather than that data from 21z which I might have just obtained.

This means that in the winter months in particular, it is actually possible for a day's maximum temperature to have occurred during the night rather than during the day, and the guy on Twitter who replied to my initial question to the Met Office did go on to explain that there has been a few instances during this exceptionally warm spell where this has actually been the case in a number of locations in the north of Scotland.

johncs2016
12 November 2022 18:42:38

There was an occasion in the 2010 December freeze where somewhere supposedly set a date minimum at around 10am, but "the rules" said it would actually be counted for the following night(day?), for which it wasn't a record.

https://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/49994-record-maxima-and-minima-for-each-date-in-december/page/2/ 

ooh, it's another weather site, is that me barred?

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

I've just had a look at that and discovered that one of their mods is none other than Kevin Bradshaw who a lot of the members on here will no doubt remember as someone who used to post here on a regular basis.

Given his status as a mod on that other site, I can understand to a certain extent why he might have left this forum in order to spend more time over time and yet, he is still just as active over at Netweather.tv and on YouTube these days as he was back then.

scillydave
13 November 2022 14:03:26
It's hit an astonishing 20.7c in Porthmadog at 1pm - a new date record and not that far shy of the all time November record of 22.4c. I wouldn't be surprised to see it top 21c which would be the latest date on record for this to occur.

Only once has 20c been breached after the 7th November and that was 20.7c on the 17th back in 1997 at Aber in Gwynedd.

Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Ally Pally Snowman
13 November 2022 14:09:29

It's hit an astonishing 20.7c in Porthmadog at 1pm - a new date record and not that far shy of the all time November record of 22.4c. I wouldn't be surprised to see it top 21c which would be the latest date on record for this to occur.

Only once has 20c been breached after the 7th November and that was 20.7c on the 17th back in 1997 at Aber in Gwynedd.

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Another remarkable spell of weather. Becoming the norm now.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Bolty
13 November 2022 14:30:07
16.2°C here this afternoon. In mid November that's really quite remarkable, especially with a lot of sunshine too.

Remarkable temperatures in parts of Wales too, by the looks of it. I'd say it's 50:50 on whether or not we see the latest 21°C (70°F) on record... at least for now anyway.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Lionel Hutz
13 November 2022 14:59:37

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

Quite surprising that it's at Porthmadog that we're seeing the highest temperatures. Presumably, there's no fohn effect there. I would have expected the highest temperatures to be on the North Wales coast.

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

doctormog
13 November 2022 15:08:49

Quite surprising that it's at Porthmadog that we're seeing the highest temperatures. Presumably, there's no fohn effect there. I would have expected the highest temperatures to be on the North Wales coast.

Originally Posted by: Lionel Hutz 

Given the warm air is coming from the SE then I suspect it is a föhn effect that is responsible (from Snowdonia).

scillydave
13 November 2022 15:09:10
There's a foehn effect in place there today - the high ground lays to the South of Porthmadog and the wind direction is perfect for it.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Essan
13 November 2022 15:41:15

16.2°C here this afternoon. In mid November that's really quite remarkable, especially with a lot of sunshine too.

Remarkable temperatures in parts of Wales too, by the looks of it. I'd say it's 50:50 on whether or not we see the latest 21°C (70°F) on record... at least for now anyway.

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Met Office now reportung 21.2c for Porthmadog. 

Given the warm air is coming from the SE then I suspect it is a föhn effect that is responsible (from Snowdonia).

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

From the Rhinogydd    Snowdon is north of Porthmadog 

Bridgefoot on the NW side of the Cumbrian hills (19.2c) and Aviemore NW of the Monadh Ruadh (17.2c) have likewise seen record temps today for the same reason.

Andy

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Crepuscular Ray
13 November 2022 15:44:09
18 C in The Lakes today and sun from dawn til dusk! I've done a 10 mile walk in the Central Fells in a t-shirt! (& walking trousers) The best Autumn day this year by far!!

I see Leeds/Bradford & Bingley were 9 C! I assume they had fog
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Ally Pally Snowman
13 November 2022 15:59:12

Met Office now reportung 21.2c for Porthmadog. 

The latest in the year 21c has ever been recorded. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Viking3
13 November 2022 16:02:22

[quote=Rob K;1492198]

I think it’s always been the case that it’s the 9am-9am minimum that counts for these records. Which as others have pointed out, seems illogical, as you effectively need two very mild nights in a row in order to get a high minimum record. 

[/quote

The reason for this is to maintain compatibility with all the past historical recording in which the instruments at climate stations were for the most part read once per day - at 0900 GMT. The period of the minimum temperature runs from 0901 one day to 0900 the next, giving rise to the anomaly mentioned above where the lowest temperature recorded at 10am was carried forward to the next day.

Keith
Aboyne, Aberdeenshire
135m asl
ozone_aurora
13 November 2022 16:18:01

I always thought a day would run from 00.00 to 00.00 hours, i.e, midnight to midnight. However, the times of 09.00 to 09.00 hours makes it easier to record the whole actual day, where the maximum is most likely, and the whole actual night, where the the minimum is most likely. Plus, to maintain compatibility with all the past historical recording, as Rob said above.

Essan
13 November 2022 16:23:36

I always thought a day would run from 00.00 to 00.00 hours, i.e, midnight to midnight. However, the times of 09.00 to 09.00 hours makes it easier to record the whole actual day, where the maximum is most likely, and the whole actual night, where the the minimum is most likely. Plus, to maintain compatibility with all the past historical recording, as Rob said above.

Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora 

Personally I think 18z to 18z makes much more sense, simply because 09z to 09z means the minimum temp will more often than not occur on a different calendar day to the maximum temp.  

Andy

Rob K
13 November 2022 16:44:35

Personally I think 18z to 18z makes much more sense, simply because 09z to 09z means the minimum temp will more often than not occur on a different calendar day to the maximum temp.  

The temperature at 1801Z could also be considerably higher than at any time during the following day, but I imagine that would be less common than the 0901Z temperature being lower than any temperature the following night. 

Reading once per day you are always going to get extremes "doubled up" so they appear to exist on two consecutive days on some occasions.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome